Saturday, September 12, 2009

What IS your symbol of play?

This is an interesting presentation by Tim Brown, the CEO of IDEO. Some ideas that are worth revisiting and reflecting is the idea on the symbol of play. Each iconic innovative organization in the world has an icon that symbolizes PLAY, a symbol of perhaps that whilst they are working, it does not stop them from creating the notion that work and play should not be something that is mutually exclusive.

Another idea worth looking at is the sad fact that as one grows older, one tends to become less and less creative. I definitely don't want that to happen in my classrooms, and I hope I won't live to see the day that my students find me a total bore, and would rather be doing something else, than be engaged by me.

The third and last thing that I would like to touch on is the idea of role-playing and modeling as a means towards creating empathy, something perhaps I have touched on in one of my earlier posts on the 6 facets of understanding. Interesting to note that perhaps one of the best tool for creating a more user-centric product is to first and foremost be empathetic about the problems posed, and what better way than to role-play it out.

There are lots more morsels of interesting bites that are contained in this video. All I can say is that if you have 28 minutes to spare, just have a look at it. Enjoy:

No comments: