Monday, November 27, 2006

An artistic renaisance

For the past two weeks, I have given myself some exposure to the artistic side of me, the side that sadly, or otherwise, have remained hidden from me for the past 30 over years! I say the pinnacle of this artistic renaisannce in me is the Puteri Gunung Ledang musical (PGL) that I watched last Saturday afternoon. It was, for a lack of a better term, one hell of a performnace, 'satu pertunjukkan yang sungguh gah sekali', to put it across in Malay! To me, it was the best of what a Malay musical performance is supposed to be, and I presume it will definitely be a benchmark of sorts for future Malay-based musical performances of such a grand scale. But ironically, for my ramblings in my previous post, one thing that I do notice is the non-Malay talent that is rather pervasive in its production, something that I feel is rather encouraging, as the only way for one to get better, is for one to learn from the best, or if not THE best, amongst the best in the business!

I've also heard a piece of good news from the papers yesterday. SM Goh, visiting Italy as part of his working visit, has initiated some form of a partnership with the Domus Academy, the premier design institution. With partnership with NTU in a masters programme, I sure do hope that it will just be a matter of time before I get a chance to continue my intellectual pursuit in product design, or something to that effect. Alternatively, taking a Masters in Teaching and Learning will also be a consideration, with perhaps a special major or a project in the design education in Singapore. And yeah, I'm planning to write a book or two too while I am at it, perhaps a book on firstly, prototyping in design & technoology, and the second, maybe, a book on the running of a department, my shared experiences as a design and technology teacher! But who will read it...? Come to think of it, I don't really care whether it will make the bestseller's list of not, what is more imporatant is that I am able to share my experiences, good and bad, to those who really wants to, and bother to read! :) Or perhaps, I can do an e-coffee table book of sorts, a project that I was embarking on, or was trying to embark on, late last year, but was somehow, due to the exigencies of work and other commitments, just can't seem to finish. Perhaps I have a crack at it again, but perhaps NOT! :)

Anyway, I am going to take a break from next week onwards, for perhaps two weeks or lesser, have a good rest, spend more time with my wifey, do a little shopping, a little reading, a little sketching and drawing, a little of this and that, maybe walk by the beach, go back to nature, hit the gym or treadmill, something that I've not been doing for quite...in fact a LONG while! Oooooh so many things, so little time. Let me mull it over, ok. :)

No comments: